If you follow me anywhere else online, you will probably have already set eyes on this handsome pup. He’s called Chip, he’s a Long Haired Miniature Dachshund and he is without doubt the best thing we’ve ever brought in to our home.
We’d wanted a pup of our own for years and had our hearts set on a long haired sausage. Matt spent his lunch times looking through puppy ads, I spent mine searching for the perfect bed/food/insurance for our one day dog. Then it happened, this little lad came up. He was a 3 hour round trip away so we went to visit and fell in love the minute we walked in the door.
He’s been with us for just over two months and it feels like we’ve never been without him! The first two weeks certainly had their tests whilst we got him settled in and sleeping well. It’s like having a new born but on turbo time! It changes quickly and before you know it they’re a fully functioning member of the dog world.
Chip is now 24 weeks and a real character. He rings a bell to go out for ‘business’, gives paw, sits and stays, lies down when asked, walks with us off the lead, comes back to two beats of a whistle… I’m really pleased with how his training is coming along but the highlight for me is getting him to ‘sausage roll’.
If you’re thinking of adding a pup to your pack:
– Take your time to find the right breeder, ask them 100 questions and be prepared for the same back. Walk away if they don’t ask you the ins and outs of your household/schedule.
– Read as much as you can, you can never be too prepared.
– If you’re losing sleep and things aren’t all rosy, it gets better very quickly.
– Consider feeding raw if possible- the change we’ve seen in our pup is ridiculous! We use Natures Menu.
– Challenge yourself to teach a new trick each week as a minimum – they learn so quickly.
– Introduce them to as much as you can, as early as you can. Let them meet all sorts of dogs, people, and strange human things that might confuse them.
– Buy interactive dog toys or things you can stuff, to keep your sanity or buy you enough time to have a brew in peace.
If you need more cute Chip photos in your life, you’ll find plenty on my instagram.